[kdepim-users] Understanding kmail imap resources

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 22 12:06:16 GMT 2008

I've come to a dead end in getting imap resources to work.  The more I think
about it, the less I'm convinced that I understand what's happening.  Where
exactly does the server copy of the calendar and addressbook live?  I collect
my mail as anne.  I followed instructions and set up an account as groupware.
I did wonder whether I needed a user account and home directory for
groupware - some said yes, others said no.  Besides, if that is where the
resources live I would not have access to them from my login, would I?

Then I have heard that some people have it partially working, but that they
don't see the whole calendar, for instance, just the changes since they set
up imap resources.  Is this what is supposed to happen?

I expected that a server copy would exist that could be accessed from
anywhere, as long as the account addressed kmail as 'groupware'.  Is this not
what I'm going to achieve, even if I get it working?

I've spent a lot of time on this, and I need to know whether the end result is
worth the effort.  If it is, I also need to know whether, for instance, my
husband will be able to request imap as groupware and see my calendar?  It's
a matter of ownership and permissions, I guess.

Anne