[kdepim-users] horde and kaddressbook

Till Adam till at kdab.net
Sun Mar 16 20:30:06 GMT 2008

Hey Peter,

On Saturday 15 March 2008 00:12:12 Peter Lokus wrote:

> I'm using cyrus, horde -> imp/turba as my webmailer and addressbook on the
> road. At home I prefer kmail and kaddressbook. Now I'm searching a plugin
> to sync my addresses between kaddressbook and horde/turba. I dont think
> there's a plugin available. So I'm looking forward to write a widget for
> kaddressbook on my own that query horde's sql database.
> Do someone has a similiar problem?
> I don't have kolab, etc running and I don't want to run them. For 2-3 users
> it's inordinately.

One of the nice things of the Kolab concept is that it doesn't really need a
Kolab server, for basic functionality. :) Nearly all of the smarts is in the
clients. For basic calendering etc you really only need a decent IMAP server,
cyrus will do fine and appropriately configured clients. Since there is a Kolab
backend for Horde, which allows imp and turba to access the information in the
IMAP folders, you could use that to share a backend. I'm not intimately
familiar with the Horde Kolab driver, but as far as I know there should not be
much it depends on, so it should be possible to just install those bits. Freel
free to ask on the kolab-users mailing list, or in #kolab where Gunnar Wrobel,
the maintainer of Kolab/Horde ist hanging out. They won't bite even if you
don't intend on running a full Kolab server. ;)

> ps: Kmail can use a addressbook via imap? I have tried to configure one but
> I have following dialog only -> http://tinyurl.com/2p3kfe
> Sorry, it's written in german but obviously there is no way to set a
> configure.

That's the IMAP/Kolab resource, indeed. It needs some configuration in KMail to
make it work, there's an "enable groupware" switch on the Misc page of the
main configuration dialog. The easiest way to set this up is using the
"kolabwizard" utility program that should be part of your kdepim installation.

Cheers,

Till

--
Till Adam
KDAB - platform independent software services