[kdepim-users] Akonadi User Services

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:01:55 GMT 2008

Thank you for all your answers.

>  I hope that sets fears at rest :-)  If you have any specific need that you are
>  worried about, please contact me off-list and I will try to get a definitive
>  answer for you.

I had more questions about the project,

I find it difficult to find information on the Akonadi project, it
does seem to be only a couple of pages on the kde-pim website; lacking
in most of the project infrastructure such as time-lines, development
snapshots, community mailing lists. Does this lack of focus on getting
the project to be self visible hinder the uptake and help that the
developers are getting from the wider community? I come from the
ubuntu community and a replacement for evolution data services would
be a blessing, and yet nothing can be done yet about solving the
problems with the current systems.

Why do developers think it has taken so long to get a unified idea
about data services? this is the software of logical data one would
think would have been in unix or the gnu tools. or at the very least
created in the mid 90's. Why only now when it's going to be a
nightmare replacing all the different implementations?

Will the system allow various resources to be shared between different
users of a computer system? Can permission for such sharing be given
without the need for syncing?

What is the likely integration with syncing engines such as open sync,
conduit, google calendar/contacts and LDAP based auth servers?

Thanks again for your time.

Best Regards, Martin Owens