[kdepim-users] Understanding kmail imap resources

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 23 15:27:20 GMT 2008

On Sunday 23 March 2008 15:03:38 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 23. März 2008 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > On Sunday 23 March 2008 14:32, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > > Am Sonntag, 23. März 2008 schrieb Anne Wilson:
>  I've just quoted the relevant part of the instructions to
> > the dovecot list, in the hope that someone can guide me in creating
> > the equivalent.
>
> I used this for a test user (because my own imap box has too much
> mails to test cached imap) and after I had all running with my own
> mailbox. I don't use a special groupware user for this.

I'll give the dovecot list time and hope that someone there can guide me.
It's a confusing business :-)  I do hope that I can get it working then write
up what was needed.  It looks to me as though the kde docs are fine if you
use exactly that setup, but lacking if you don't.  If I can succeed I'll
write up the difference for a dovecot server.

At the moment I would only be able to add the bit about getting sasl working
with dovecot and postfix, in place of the cyrus instructions.

> I don't think that this is a problem with the imapserver. May be it is
> time to test dovecot imap server.
>
> > Meanwhile, for me to think about, can you remember the settings you
> > gave the wizard?  I presume you gave the IP for the host?  What
> > about the email question?  I gave it 'groupware at lydgate.lan' - was
> > that right?
>
> I gave the hostname of my mailserver (by the way a CentOS 5.1 too), my
> e-mail address, my username and my password (I don't need that on a
> regular basis because I use kerberos to authentication stuff, but the
> wizzard forced me to enter the user-password.

So this would be your normal kmail username and password?  I wonder what it is
expecting for the email address - a local address, I presume?  I'm very
confused about this.  I know how to use postfix transport for local emails,
but I'm sure this is something different.

> After that I had to change the usernames (because my username does not
> match my e-mail address) and had to remove the online free and busy
> stuff (kolab has it, but My server currently don't). Then everything
> worked fine (besides the encoding stuff).

OK, thanks.  I'll have another go, based on what you've said.

Anne