[kdepim-users] Understanding kmail imap resources

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 23 16:28:03 GMT 2008

On Sunday 23 March 2008 15:45, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 23. März 2008 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > On Sunday 23 March 2008 15:19:22 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > > So Anne, I tested the dovecot server and it is working like my
> > > cyrus server. I can add a folder for contacts and can store new
> > > contacts in it (with a different user). No problem at all. These
> > > contacts are written (proved it with thunderbird). As I sayd
> > > before, I don't think tihs is a dovecot issue.
> >
> > What about that bit in the docs
> > (http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en/kdebase/userguide/kontact-imap-cyrus.h
> >tml) that talks about setting up a cyrus user called 'groupware'.
> > What is the equivalent in dovecot?
> >
> > I'm sure there is something here that I'm completely
> > misunderstanding.
>
> I think I can agree with you. The seperate mail account is needed, If
> you will store the contacts in a separate mailbox. You can use the
> same mailbox as your normal one (I used the contacts in my normal
> imap account - one online for the mails and one cached for the
> resources). The seperate mailbos is not needed.

I would not subscribe the Inbox anyway - I don't want all the mails
duplicating.  I just want the contacts and calendar from my own account to be
served up.

> Do you have the type of your resource-folder set correctly (within
> folder properties)?

I'm close to despair, Martin.  I've tried three times to get this kolab wizard
to set things up for me, each time taking your latest information as my
guide.  The resource folders are just not being created, or if they are I
can't see them (and no, I don't have Hide set).  Resources are created in
Calendar and Contacts, but if I try to import information I am told that
there is no writable folder for them.

I'm going to try again, removing the kolab stuff, and trying the original way
of getting groupware folders.  At least I got that far with them last
time :-)

Later -

Well, using the groupware setup, folders have been created, but not until I
did a check-mail.  That has resulted in all my Inbox mail being copied over -
which I didn't want.  Inbox is not checked on the subscribe list.

I then turned to the calendar page, and attempted to import my calendar into
the groupware one.  I got 'No writable resource was found, saving will not be
possible. Reconfigure KMail first.'

I'm close to giving up, much as I hate to do so.

Anne