[kdepim-users] mbox folder is an maildir folder

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 15 17:50:15 BST 2008

On Sunday 15 June 2008 16:39:54 Michael wrote:
> Hello thanks
>
> for the answer - I guess I have found the reason for the "issue" though
> no real solution.
>
> > > I like to export some mails to an other account and though that the
> > > easiest way would be to create an mbox folder, move the relevant
> > > mails to this and user the mbox file to import it on the other
> > > account.
> >
> > I don't understand. What does ls -sl show after you have copied/moved
> > a message to the mboxtest folder?
>
> I created a folder as mbox format and then subfolders since I like to
> move a complete "subtree" to an other account.
>
> All is fine as long as I copie mails to the toplevel mbox folder. When I
> do a cat on the mbox file I see the mails.
>
> But when I copie the files to mbox subfolders I get a size of zero for
> the file though it is copied and visible in KMail. a cat on the
> toplevel named mbox file results in "empty" file.
>
> > > I am using Kmail 1.9.9 KDE 3.5.9  -

I once had an installation that would not copy files correctly at all.  Just
in case you have a similar issue, please try to move a few messages rather
than copying them - if you are nervous of doing it, create one or two test
messages to yourself and work on them first.  You may find that moving the
messages is the best answer.

Anne