[kdepim-users] Dialling from Kaddressbook

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Sat Jun 28 21:26:57 BST 2008

I want Kaddressbook to dial the telephone (not a SIPphone, and not to an
ISP, but through an analog modem to an ordinary POTS phone line). Since
this utility knows the numbers of all those to whom I dial routinely, it
should be superfluous for me to punch buttons manually.

The developer(s) of the program have not thought to give it a way to
communicate with the modem, but they have provided a hook so that one can
point it at an appropriate dialer. This is located at Settings >
Configure Kaddressbook > General.

I have installed wvdial and entered <wvdial %N> (w/o the angle brackets)
in the Phone field, guessing that the model provided in that field when I
installed Kaddressbook is valid for wvdial. (That "dialer" did  not, in
fact know how to dial, but only to emit dialling tones to holler through
the handset, which is a primitive solution). Clicking on a telephone
number does nothing at all, so clearly what I have done is wrong and/or
insufficient.

The dialer is configured in wvdial.conf, which contains the following.
*****
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Phone = 0
Idle Seconds = 300
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Stupid Mode = 1
Compuserve = 0
Baud = 115200
Auto DNS = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Ask Password = 0
ISDN = 0
; Password = ''
; Username = ''
*****

The dialer is pointed to /dev/tty/S0, which must be correct, because the
fax program I am using, which contains its own dialer and is independent
of Kaddressbook) is able to communicate with the modem on that port. The
initialization strings etc look all right to me, or at least harmless,
but some things are irrelevant to the present purpose.

Calling wvdial from a commant line produces the following:
*****
# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56 (abuild at delius)
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Idle Seconds = 300, disabling automatic reconnect.
--> Sending: ATDT0
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT0
NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATDT0
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT0
	.
	.
	.
*****

What do I have to do to get notice the telephone number when I call it
from Kaddressbook, and dial it?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on