[kdepim-users] Dialling from Kaddressbook

Robin Atwood robin at binro.org
Sun Jun 29 17:27:44 BST 2008

On Sunday 29 Jun 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 17:41:46 on Sunday Sunday 29 June 2008, Robin Atwood <robin at binro.org>
>
> wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 Jun 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > > I want Kaddressbook to dial the telephone (not a SIPphone, and not to
> > > an ISP, but through an analog modem to an ordinary POTS phone line).
> > > Since this utility knows the numbers of all those to whom I dial
> > > routinely, it should be superfluous for me to punch buttons manually.
> >
> > Many moons ago I wrote an application called Kall, which you can find
> > at http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Kall?content=14447. It still
> > works with KDE 3.5.9 because I just used it to call the bank!
> Since it seems to be the only such purpose-designed program on the planet,
> one would think that the openSuSE crew would think to make it available
> as an RPM, but no. Or that KDE would mention it in the
> Kaddressbook "documentation"  =;-)8.  The mind boggles.

To be frank, I don't think there is a lot of demand for dialling from
desk-phones anymore, everyone uses their mobile!

Incidentally, after setup you don't need to use the Kall main window anymore,
just set the "Phone" script-hook to "kall --dial %N" and you can dial
directly from kaddressbook.

HTH
-Robin
Robin Atwood.