[kdepim-users] Backup

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 23 21:50:51 BST 2008

On Monday 23 June 2008 01:35:03 Martin Jolley wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am new to Linux and therefore KDE and most importantly the KDEPIM.  I
> have been using it for a month now and it is truly a great product.  I
> have searched and searched through the mail from other users and cannot
> find a simple/elegant/easy way to save my PIM data.  Yes, I can export a
> couple of things but not all.  A major crash last week resulted in the
> loss of most of my data and I don't want to go through that again.  Can
> someone please please tell me how I can easily/elegantly/simply save all
> my data and how I would then use it to restore should the need arise.
>

> Thanks in anticipation.

> Martin Jolley

Hi, Martin, and welcome :-)  The easiest way to be safe is to set up a cron
job to rsync your ~/.kde/share/apps and ~/.kde/share/config directories to
another place.  That can be to another directory on the same disk, another
disk, CD, usb-drive or any media of your choice.  Start up konqueror and
type 'man:rsync' in the address line, and you'll be able to decide which
options you need.  You simply construct the command, save it to a text file,
then in the Properties, mark it executable.  kcron helps you to set up  your
cron job to run it at regular intervals.

Anne