[kdepim-users] Please explain about KMail contacts

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 31 12:40:00 BST 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 12:13:22 IloChab wrote:
> I really do not understand this.
>
> I run Kmail 1.9.9 inside Kcontact 1.2.9 under KDE 3.5.9 onto a Fedora9.
>
> If I add a new contact in Kmail's address book I can see it in Kcontact's
> contacts, and this is OK.
>
> If I write an email message with Kmail, when I start to type into `TO`
> field, I get a pull down list of all the email's addresses, present in my
> mail, that match that pattern, and this is OK too.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Why I don't see all the addresses of my received emails in the contact list
> too?
> Why I see them only typing into the message's `TO` field?
> There is any way to transfer the email addresses of the received mail to
> the contact list?
> Where is the file that contains email's addresses retrieved directly from
> mail?
>
> Thank you in advance for your explanations.

Hi, LICIA

KMail gets addresses from two places - your addressbook and a list of recent
contacts.  To deal with that one first - if you need to edit that list (say
you get a wrong address in there by accident) you can do it from Configure
KMail > Composer > Edit Recent Addresses.  I'm not aware that it takes any
from incoming mail, so the ones you are seeing are probably from your