[kdepim-users] kontact 4.1svn unbearable slow

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Jul 17 22:47:11 BST 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008, mikolaj wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2008 09:48:28 Kishore wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 Jul 2008 12:34:49 pm mikolaj wrote:
> > > KMail in kontact for KDE 4.1svn is terribly slow - practically
> > > unusable.
> > >
> > > Displaying of mails takes several seconds and whole interface
> > > feels sluggish. Other parts of Kontact are better.
> >
> > This is coming to you from kontact/kmail built from SVN and it
> > works fine
> > here. However, kmail blocks when retrieving signatures for several
> > seconds
> > and yes, that is painful. Of course, this only happens when the
> > message is
> > signed and only once for a new signature.
>
> I found where problem is: big folders. Relatively speaking. In small
> folders, up to 2000-3000 thousands of messages it is fast. Well, not
> really. Fast is in folders < 1000 messages. Up to 3000 it takes ca 2
> seconds. In kdepim-users with 8700 messages it begins to slow down.
> Displaying of your message took 3 secs. Much bigger pain is with even
> bigger folders. digikam-devel has 22000 and displaying of message
> lasts there up to 9 seconds. Similar to vim-devel with 20000. Real
> disaster is with vim-list (60000 messages) stopped waiting after 2
> minutes.

I just made a quick test. Opening the inbox of my test account (IMAP) on
googlemail.com took quite some time because KMail had to fetch the
headers of 78458 messages. Afterwards opening this folder repeatedly
took about 30 seconds (after a restart of KMail). The CPU load went up
to 50 % (i.e. 100 % on one CPU core) for the better part of those 30
seconds, so opening such a large folder might be much slower on a less
powerful system. FWIW, I'm using openSUSE 10.3 x86-64 on an Intel(R)
Core(TM)2 CPU 6600  @ 2.40GHz.

For comparison: Opening a local maildir folder with 51808 messages with
KMail 1.9.9 (KDE 3.5.9) took about 15 seconds. So KMail 1.9.9 seems to
be a bit faster than KMail 1.10.0, but not by far.

As always with such measurements: Your milage might vary.