[kdepim-users] Kmail stops delivering mail after a period of time

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sat Jan 26 01:55:33 GMT 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008 17:34, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 25 January 2008, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > I've had linux boxes running for many months at a time,  usually only
> > interrupted by either me running into power problems or me doing some
> > sort of hardware change or upgrade.  Yet this doesn't seem to be too
> > feasible for KDE and the mix of applications I'm running here. Do the
> > developers/testers not leave their machines on?
>
> I shutdown my machine each evening to save money (energy is not cheap),
> my sleep (I sleep in the same room as my computer), and the
> environment.
>
> Unnecessarily keeping a machine (computer, TV, etc.) running or in
> stand-by just to save you the couple of minutes you'd have to wait for
> the machine to boot is a disservice to your children and your
> children's children.

You are,  of course,  entitled to your opinion on the matter,  and to your
philosophy regarding energy uses in general,  when it comes to this sort of
thing,  but it's a fact that there are an awful lot of boxes out there that
are up and running 24/7 for really long periods of time,  and for generally
good reasons,  and doing useful work.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to label this software as not being tested for
longish running times?  It'd be more honest,  anyway.

-
M Dakin