[kdepim-users] annoying wallet -> problem solved , thanx guys :)

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 06:57:16 GMT 2008

Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2008 23:32, you wrote:
>> Roy J. Tellason wrote:
>>> Your choice,  of course.
>>>
>>> Hey,  here's a really radical thought.  How about when the folks that are
>>> doing all the things that they're doing with this software change
>>> something, they do so IN A WAY THAT DOESN'T BREAK WHAT EXISTING USERS ARE
>>> USED TO DOING?
>> I have not quite followed this thread but let me repeat what Anne says:
>> the wallet can easily be configured to be opened (with password) once
>> only, the first time any software wants to use it (Kopete, Kontact or
>> other). Thereafter it will not bother you until you restart the PC and I
>> assume you are around then. I also auto-check various accounts
>> periodically and have wallet set up so that it wont bother me.
>> Siinclair
>
> Let me see if I can make my point here...
>
> In the version of kmail that I used before the whole wallet thing came along,
> I put the necessary info into the configs once,  and that was the end of it.
> Now,  with things changed to require the user to go to the wallet config
> stuff and uncheck boxes _THAT ARE CHECKED BY DEFAULT_ this means that you get
> nagged by the system until you go in there and "fix" it.  Therefore,  in this
> view of stuff,  they've gone and broken things that were formerly working.
>
> I don't care too much for this approach to things when it comes to software.
> If they want to add the thing in,  and offer it to those that want to use it,
> fine.  But don't make me have to go in there and fiddle with more stuff that
> I didn't have to be bothered with before because you think it's a good idea!
> That's just bloody annoying.

Well, I meant this to the list and not to you as a person, got the
reply-to wrong. But I have yet to come across a distro of KDE that do
not use Kwallet by default, not meaning that you can not disable it. And
if KDE use it then Kmail will use it unless told not to.

As I said - I did not follow the thread from start and it has little to
do with how "I like it". I sometimes find Kwallet good, sometimes not.
But the concept is not overly irritating if I get to put my password
once, no more than giving the sudo/admin password.

Sinclair