[kdepim-users] Config file for the dictionary selection in kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Feb 25 22:08:21 GMT 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008, yoann fagault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to limit the choice of dictionaries in kmail to English,
> French and Spanish. Right now, I have the choice between 50
> dictionaries with a lot a choice for the same language (e.g. English,
> English_canada, English_canada w accents....). Where is the config
> file to set the dictionnaries. Is it a kde or kmail config?

KDE/KMail simply takes all dictionaries that are provided by aspell or
ispell or whatever spellchecker is used on your system. Judging from
the list of dictionaries you seem to be using aspell. The only
workaround I can suggest is to use ispell instead of aspell since the
former provides much less dictionaries.

Alternatively, if you are the only person using your computer you could
simply remove all dictionaries you do not want to use. On my system
aspell's dictionaries are stored in /usr/lib64/aspell-0.60. Remove
unnecessary .alias, .multi, and .rws files. The .rws files contain the
actual words while the .alias and the .multi files just list
other .multi or .rws files to use. It's probably better to move the
files somewhere else instead of deleting them, so that you can easily
restore a needed file. BTW, you need to be root to do this.