[kdepim-users] Kmail

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 26 09:28:08 GMT 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008 23:22:41 dave croden wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008 04:44, dave croden wrote:
> > Any mail from my POP3 server without a filter shows up in my inbox as
>
> No
>
> > Subject for 'Subject' Unknown for 'Sender' and Unknown for 'Order of
> > Arrival"-----help
>
> Hi Dave,

> are the
> webmasters, not the KMail people. It would be useful to provide
> additional
> information to the KDE PIM folk, such as what you are using to fetch the
> POP3
> messages (I suppose KMail does that itself), what POP3 server you are
> using,
> what KMail version is involved, etc.
> POP Server is shawmail.ca
>
> Kubuntu 7.10
>
> KDE 3.5.8

Dave, this sounds like the long-standing bug that no-one has been able to
track down.  The cure is simple, but there's no guarantee that it won't occur
again.

First thing is to close kmail.  I don't know the ubuntu structure, but very
likely your mail is stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail - if that's not so,
first identify where it is stored.  Then look for inbox index files - i.e.
anything starting with .inbox.index - there will be two or three of them.
Delete them.  They will re recreated when you restart kmail.

You will lose any messages that have appeared as 'no subject' etc., but the
rest will be OK.  If this recurs, close kmail as soon as you see one message
affected and deal with the corrupted index files.  That way you will only
lose one.  Never click on any other message in that folder until you've done
this.

HTH

Anne