[kdepim-users] New message script for KMail

John Kennedy skebi69 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:29:01 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 26 February 2008 17:08:41 Holger Hellmuth wrote:
> John Kennedy schrieb:
> >> If he needs to "hear" those new emails together at a later time (the
> >> only other interpretation I can think of), it still is better to use the
> >> configuration option or a filter: Collect the email subjects in a file
> >> in the home dir and then later access this file instead of scouring the
> >> messages itself.
> >>
> >> Holger.
> >
> > What I am looking for is a script that will yank the subject line from
> > newly arrived email in specific folders and user festival to read the
> > subject. That way if I am not sitting at my computer I will know if I
> > need to action the email. I want it to read the Subject from all unread
> > mail in the folder. It does not have to alter the message (mark it read)
> > or anything.
>
> Sorry, I still don't get it (your answer seems to just repeat what you said
> before). Could you give me the reason why my proposed methods doesn't work
> for you? Then I might understand the problem.
>
> Lets play this through: The last time you where at the computer you should
> have read all the important messages. So whatever important messages you
> want to hear should be arriving after that. ...Time elapses, messages
> arrive and their subjects get collected in the file (if you use filters,
> only mails of specific folders get collected, even in different files if
> necessary)....
> Later you want to hear those messages and start your script. The script
> reads and deletes the collection-files while calling festival to read them
> aloud. If an important message is in the mix, you hear it and know you have
> to access the computer and read it. And we are back at the beginning.

That is the scenario, one thing I did leave out is that I only want this to
happen on the 1-2 days/week that I work from home. I don't want/need for the
subjects to be read the other 5-6 days. The days I work from home vary so I
can't even filter by day/time.
Sorry for the omission.
John

--
The opinions expressed in this e-mail are mine alone and are not endorsed by
(or agreed by) my employer, who ever that may be at the time...