[kdepim-users] annoying wallet -> problem solved , thanx guys :)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Feb 21 22:11:59 GMT 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2008 23:51, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 February 2008 02:31:43 Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > > It's not as simple as that.  I do a fresh install of Slackware.
> > > The first time I fire up kmail I have some configuring to do,
> > > plugging in the info for the email servers the software needs to
> > > access,  AND THE PASSWORDS. The first time it attempts to do so
> > > it tries to access the stupid wallet thingy anyway,  and I have
> > > to go through more crap to get it to not try and do so. This
> > > didn't used to be an issue to deal with -- now it is. Something
> > > that worked a certain way before doesn't work that way any more
> > > -- therefore _they broke it_ when this stuff was added.  A simple
> > > "this feature is available to you now and it wasn't before,  do
> > > you want to use it?" with a yes/no option might have been nice
> > > but that choice wasn't what was presented.

> > > Telling it no and then having the software nag you to use it
> > > anyway isn't much fun either.
> >
> > I know nothing of Slackware.  This is certainly not the behaviour
> > in Mandriva, Fedora or CentOS.  Perhaps you should be asking the
> > Slackware people.  It's clearly not a kde issue, or all distros
> > would have the same behaviour.
>
> The given description fit the behavior of my Mandriva Powerpack+ 2007
> installation to a "T".  It is also the reason I no longer keep the
> latest distro on this computer; it took so long to get this one
> configured so that it worked that I will not chance an "upgrade".  I
> am beginning to understand the reason some of my friends will not use
> KDE at all!  The reason they give is because they are attacked rather
> than helped when they try to get help to get their computers
> functioning correctly for themselves.

That's sad to hear. I wonder whom they asked for help. From what I
perceive (but of course my view might be biased) the members of this
mailing list are (almost) always very friendly and helpful towards
people seeking help. "Almost" because as soon as it comes to KWallet a
heated discussion starts. I guess KWallet is one of those highly
controversial things which you either love or hate.

So everybody please take a deep breath and then let's get back to what
this list really is about: helping other people, rather than shouting
at other people because they like/hate KWallet.

> Users, especially older ones,
> do not LIKE to have to take a course on how to use their computer
> every time they upgrade a system.  They do not have hours a day to
> pour over manuals and learn new "quirks" of the system.  They are
> KISS users and that is all they want or need.  If it worked better,
> faster, and easier, it would be good but it normally doesn't.
> Rather, it works slower and more confusing by taking several more
> steps than they used to have to go through to do a simple thing.
> Then too, finding "hidden" controls is a very frustrating ordeal.
> Computing used to be fun!  Now it is just another daily pain.

A lot of things used to be fun in the past. In most cases that's because
we used to be young and inquiring and maybe even adventurous.

BTW, what are they using instead of KDE?