[kdepim-users] Configuring mailboxes

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:04:40 GMT 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008 11:23:18 Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> What I would like to do is: have all my mail picked up by Fetchmail (as it
> is at the moment), and have Procmail deploy messages to mbox files in my
> ~/Mail directory (as it is when I'm on one of my steampunkish Mutt kicks).
> I would then like to be able to read my mail using either Kmail or Mutt
> (depending on whim, or whether I happen to be working in a text console, or
> whether I am accessing mail on my machine from a remote location.)

I use fetchmail for several accounts, then pipe through procmail, which
filters messages into various folders (I have bogofilter in there too, to
sort out spam).  I then use dovecot as an imap server.  This has the
advantage of serving up your mail to the server box itself, another
workstation, a laptop, or even your laptop when you are away from home.
Dovecot needs a little configuration, but the on-line wiki pages are very
helpful, so it's not too hard.  As for mail client, I routinely use kmail,
have from time to time used thunderbird, and believe that there is no reason
why you would not also be able to use mutt.

> It
> would be nice if KMail filters could also go along with this scheme and be
> in sync with Procmail.  The general idea is to be able to read my mail
> easily with any mail client.

It's probably not a good idea to have kmail filters on top of procmail
filters.  There is at least one long-standing bug reports that appears to
point to that causing problems, although it's still not confirmed as the
cause.

> I can think of several ways of doing this, some of which involve setting up
> symbolic links and others which involve extensive and tedious reconfiguring
> of KMail mailboxes.  It would be nice, and also in tune with Linux
> standards, if there was an option in KMail to make ~/Mail the base
> directory for all mail, and that may be the case but I haven't found it
> yet.

I think that's distro-dependent.  In older versions I have seen ~/mail, ~/Mail
and of course now it's under the ~/.kde tree.  If you decide to go for
dovecot you can define ~/Mail as your directory base, if that's what you
wish.

Hope that helps

Anne