[kdepim-users] SURVEY: PDA with Embedded Linux?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 05:41:18 GMT 2008

On 19/02/2008, JW <jw at mailsw.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 16 February 2008 07:09:26 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
>  > I'm a little late getting into this thread, but here goes. I am
>  > willing to send the developer who can get Kaddressbook and Kalender
>  > syncing to a Nokia 6280 a test device. I'll fork over the cash for the
>  > device. At minimum, the dev has a new phone and I can sync Kontact
>  > with my Nokia. I don't even need two-way syncing. Just from Kontact to
>  > the phone would be fine.
>  >
>  > Dotan Cohen
>

> Hey that got me to thinking: now that Nokia owns TrollTech, wouldn't they
>  donate devices? I mean surely! They can afford it. KDE is the biggest user of
>  QT, right (maybe I'm wrong here)?

I believe that Skype is the most widely distributed Qt application,
though I don't remember from where I've heard that. Second is probably
Opera or Google Earth.

> Wouldn't it be to Nokia's benefit to help
>  KDE devs a little in a case like this? I can see the press release:
>
>  NOKIA'S ENTIRE LINE OF PHONES NOW KDE COMPATIBLE

"Nokia's entire line of phones what compatible?" It will sound
technical and people don't like that.

>  2008/nn/nn Nokia announced today that they are the only manufacturer of cell
>  phones to have their products certified KDE compliant. The entire Nokia
>  family of cell phones is now able to synchronize with complete functionality
>  with the KDE PIM suite of applications including . . .

A goof article would help, but the headline won't be worth anything.

>  Yeah you get the point.
>
>  Isn't there some chief in the KDe tribe who has contacts as TrollTech? Could
>  someone at TrollTech ask for hardware on the KDE developer's behalf? I mean
>  c'mon - refurbs, returned devices, used sevices, seconds - can that be too
>  much for Nokia?

Contact them and request that they donate devices. I did:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4222231
If you navigate the Nokia site instead of going straight for the
Contact link, you must fill out a survey. Do it, and let them know
that you are disappointed in the lack of Linux PIM support.

Here is the press contacts for Nokia as well:
http://www.nokia.com/A4596522

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il