[kdepim-users] Strange data loss in Kmail

Holger Hellmuth hellmuth at ira.uka.de
Wed Feb 13 21:08:53 GMT 2008

I'm not a KDE or (even C/C++ programmer at the moment, I do perl), so take this with a
grain of salt:

I would think the strace output should at least show whether the crash happens because
some system limit gets exeeded. It probably does not (as others would have had the same
idea to look at strace), but it's nice to rule that out.

Especially if the crash is a segmentation fault, I would try out valgrind, which is a
collection of tools to make boundary checks and initialization checks.

Very helpful would be the information whether it crashes at the same spot every time or at
random locations. Running the program with a debugger (gdb...) should provide that
information. If that doesn't work (it happens that as soon as you run it with a debugger,
the crashes stop, that often means an initialization bug), I would plaster the code with
printfs (especially in the filter code) to either get closer and closer to the point of
crash or make sure it crashes randomly (in which case valgrind should find something).

Hope this helps,
	Holger.