[kdepim-users] A suggestion for kmail

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Thu Dec 18 21:27:33 GMT 2008

On December 18, 2008 11:13:48 am Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2008, David Goodenough wrote:
> > I have several email addresses, and which I use for subscription to
> > mailing lists varies according to the subject matter.
> >
> > When I get the first mail from the mailing list, I set up a filter to
> > put the mail into its own folder.  Then I use the Mailing List
> > Manager to recognise which list it is, and to set up the relevant
> > mail address.
> >
> > The one thing that this function does not do, which would be really
> > useful, if to notice which of my email addresses the mail was sent to
> > (and if you have the "normal" Fancy Headers displayed you can not see
> > it), and set the appropriate entry in the folder properties as the
> > default ID from which to send mail.  It strikes me that this would
> > not be difficult to detect and it would be really useful and stop me
> > sending mail to lists from the wrong id.
>
> KMail uses the List-* headers defined in RFC 2369 [1] and RFC 2919 [2]
> for extracting the necessary information about the mailing list. I am
> not aware of a standard header providing the email address the message
> was sent to. Since the information about the actual recipient is part
> of the mail envelope that is removed by the receiving mail server
> before KMail sees the message, there's no reliable way to extract the
> address the message was sent to.
>
> There seems to be a Delivered-to header, but I haven't found useful
> information about it.

My apologies if I've misunderstood him, I'm not sure the original poster
understands that once the email to be replied to is in the folder you can set
the folder properties to reply to any email in that folder (right click on
the folder) with whatever email Id you want to use. So any emails from, for
example, the kde-pim list are filtered into a KDE-PIM folder, any emails in
that folder you reply to will use the default id that you set to reply from.

Personal emails addressed to bob at frobozz.org will have a "to" field of
bob at frobozz.org, but Ingo, you're quite correct that if you subscribe to the
the email was sent to the mailing list address, and not the final recipient.
Thus in this list the "to" field is kdepim-users at kde.org for any email
delivered from the listserve.  Personal emails addressed to bob at frobozz.org
(not coming through the listserve) will have a "to" field of bob at frobozz.org.
KMail is correctly reporting the "to" address it receives from the message.

Most listserve admins also set the Reply-To field to the email address of the
original poser, not the listserve, but the field  X-Envelope-To field does
show which address the listserve sent the message to. Unfortunately this
field does not show up in filter settings.

Bob.

bob at rsmits.ca