[kdepim-users] PIM migration from KDE3.5 to KDE4.1

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 29 08:33:21 GMT 2008

On Monday 29 December 2008 01:30:50 Malte Gell wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm just running openSUSE 11.1 with KDE4.1
>
> Before I used KDE3.5 and its Kontact. What is the most easiest way to
> migrate my old KMail settings (they r most important), especially all
> mail folders, the filters i used and the email account settings?
>
> And what about the "contacts" from Kontact, can they easily migrate?
>
> Can the kdewallet files be continued to use with KDE4?

Hi,  Malte.  If your old stuff is in ~/.kde  and the new stuff in ~/.kde4 it's
easy - or the old stuff in a backup somewhere.  There are two places to look
for files to copy across - ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail and ~/.kde/share/config/.
From the apps directory you will also want kabc for your contacts and
kwallet/.  From the config directory you will want kmailrc,  emailidentities
and and kwalletrc.  (I don't see a config file for kabc or kaddressbook on
this installation, but if there is one, pick that up as well.)

As long as you are using the kde3-based Kontact it's perfectly safe to copy
any of these files across.  I suspect that when we get the Akonadi version
that might change, but we're not there yet.

Anne