[kdepim-users] Any Advice on changing from POP to IMAP ?

Manfred Mislik tic at tictric.net
Tue Dec 16 20:43:20 GMT 2008

On Dienstag 16 Dezember 2008 03:52:24 Robert Smits wrote:
> Thanks to all of you for outlining pros and cons of changing. I'm rather
> more inclined to go ahead, but how does one deal with your filters,
> antivirus and bogus email? I have more than hundred filters splitting mail
> off into its own folder, and currently am quite happy with clam and
> bogofilter.
>
> Do I have to create all these folders on imap or will they just show up in
> the right place  when I connect to imap?

If you used POP until now you most probably downloaded all your messages from
the server as you got them and either let them in your inbox or moved them to
some other folder in your email client. You saved those mails locally.

If you found out that your provider also lets you access your email account
via IMAP or got yourself a new IMAP account means that from now on you
typically leave your messages on the mail server.

Now you need to decide if you also want to have your old messages available on
that IMAP server or if you are happy with just accessing all new mails by
IMAP. If you want all, or some of your mails also available on the imap server
then you'll have to add the mail folders on your server by simply right
clicking on the parent folder and choosing 'New Subfolder'. Then you simple
move your mails from the 'Message List' to that folder that you created.

If you hold down the SHIFT-KEY while dragging, you'll move those messages. If
you hold down the CTRL-KEY, you'll copy them. If you just drag them, you'll
get asked what you want.

After that I'd worry about filtering.

Your provider might also offer a Virus Scanner and/or a Spamfilter that you can
configure on a web interface in your browser. At least here, in Germany that's
very common.

I can tell you though that Bogofilter in KMail is no real fun if you use it
with an IMAP account because the spam filter will download every single mail
and check it. While it does that, the message list sort of scrolls by making
it very difficult to select the mail that you are interested in. I tried that
and turned it off again because it was so cumbersome.

Meanwhile I don't use any spamfilter anylonger because I do not trust those
filters anyway and decide by looking on the subject if I classify it as spam
and delete them in the end by pressing CTRL-A and DEL.

Hope this helps.
Manfred

tictric at jabber.ccc.de