[kdepim-users] caching passphrases in KMail?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 8 21:04:33 GMT 2008

On Monday 08 December 2008 19:07:10 Dexter Filmore wrote:
> Am Montag, 8. Dezember 2008 19:56:23 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > On Monday 08 December 2008 18:07:38 Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > > So I fought my way through a gpg howto and got it working, but how do I
> > > make KMail cache passphrases?
> >
> > That's the biggest part done.  Now you just need to add gpg-agent.
> >
> > Check that you have /usr/bin/gpg-agent
> > Add 'use-agent' to your gpg.conf file
> > Add ' eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)" ' to your ~/.bashrc
> >
> > That will start the agent when you log in, and create ~/.gpg-agent.conf,
> > but you probably will need to manually enter ' pinentry-program
> > /usr/bin/pinentry- qt '
> >
> > That's it, really.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Thanks, but... we're at "manually fumbling something into some config file
> and have to re-do on every computer I work on."
> We're not getting anywhere. *I* can barely handle this, thinking about
> teaching someone like my sis to use this.. no go.

You are joking, of course? :-)

It has to be done once only, and the rest is automatic.  The same gpg-
agent.conf file can be copied onto every box - there is nothing different from
one box to another. Once there, it just works.  Your sis will not even be
aware of it, just appreciating that she only has to enter a passphrase once
every hour, or whatever you set it to.

Anne