[kdepim-users] caching passphrases in KMail?

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Tue Dec 9 06:20:52 GMT 2008

Am Montag, 8. Dezember 2008 22:04:33 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Monday 08 December 2008 19:07:10 Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > >
> > > That's the biggest part done.  Now you just need to add gpg-agent.
> > >
> > > Check that you have /usr/bin/gpg-agent
> > > Add 'use-agent' to your gpg.conf file
> > > Add ' eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)" ' to your ~/.bashrc
> > >
> > > That will start the agent when you log in, and create
> > > ~/.gpg-agent.conf, but you probably will need to manually enter '
> > > pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry- qt '
> > >
> > > That's it, really.
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Thanks, but... we're at "manually fumbling something into some config
> > file and have to re-do on every computer I work on."
> > We're not getting anywhere. *I* can barely handle this, thinking about
> > teaching someone like my sis to use this.. no go.
>
> You are joking, of course? :-)
>
> It has to be done once only, and the rest is automatic.  The same gpg-
> agent.conf file can be copied onto every box - there is nothing different
> from one box to another. Once there, it just works.  Your sis will not even
> be aware of it, just appreciating that she only has to enter a passphrase
> once every hour, or whatever you set it to.
>
> Anne

I'm serious. And even after doing the setup it still is up to the user to take
care of the web-of-trust-thing and get other people to sign the key, retrieve
public keys from other people, verify those keys by fingerprint and so on.

Plus yesterday I tried and encrypt a message and KMail asks me something
like "what Name in the Adress Book should be used for..." ...forgot the rest.
Doesn't ask me that today in another test. Wth.

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de