[kdepim-users] Any Advice on changing from POP to IMAP ?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 16 19:01:29 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 02:52:24 Robert Smits wrote:
> Thanks to all of you for outlining pros and cons of changing. I'm rather
> more inclined to go ahead, but how does one deal with your filters,
> antivirus and bogus email? I have more than hundred filters splitting mail
> off into its own folder, and currently am quite happy with clam and
> bogofilter.
>
> Do I have to create all these folders on imap or will they just show up in
> the right place  when I connect to imap?

My preference is to have procmail do all the filtering on the server.  (There
is a bug that I've never been able to track down, which means that there is
one filter that simply doesn't work.  For that I use a kmail filter to move
the message from Inbox to the correct folder.)  I don't filter for viruses, as
I have no windows machines on my LAN, though I'm toying with the idea of
installing amavis to do just that.  I include a script in the procmail recipes
to put most messages through bogofilter - if you decide to go with procmail
I'll give you the recipe for that.  Just ask.  And I simply copied my
bogofilter corpus onto the server, so it set off knowing as much as my local
copy had known.

Anne