[kdepim-users] Kmail is not working with my Cyrus Imap server

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 26 19:08:16 GMT 2008

On Friday 26 December 2008 18:11:17 you wrote:
> 2008/12/26 Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
> > On Thursday 25 December 2008 19:24:18 Public Mailing Lists wrote:
> >> Only with Kontact/Kmail (4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy3), I can't access my
> >> mail. Apparently, Kmail does not fetch the folder list from the server.
> >> I can't find any error message. Kmail is just hanging here and not doing
> >> anything when I click on the folder icon.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have experience with this issue? Is there any way to tell
> >> what Kmail is trying to do, or to get an error message?
> >
> > Sheer guesswork, but possible culprits:
> >
> > Authorisation
> > Firewall
> > SELinux, AppArmor etc.
>
> By "authorisation", do you mean authorisation as required by the
> mailhost?  If not, could you possibly elaborate?

Yes, what your server expects.  Does it use plain login, or some security like
SSL?  Do you program kmail to send the login that you have on that machine -
the username and password as the machine knows you?

Also, how do you address the machine?  In theory there is no reason why you
can't use the format servername.network.ext - but in practice I've found it
best to standardise on setting kmail to use the server's IP.

HTH

Anne