[kdepim-users] Kmail Message-list window

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Tue Aug 12 23:12:49 BST 2008

At 22:14:40 on Tuesday Tuesday 12 August 2008, Ingo Klöcker
<kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 August 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > I am using Kmail v1.9.6 unde KDE v3.5.7, under openSuSE v10.3.
> >
> > Is there a way to Select a range of lines in this window? I have
> > tried to drag the mouse cursor while holding down MB1 and various
> > combinations of CTRL, SHIFT, and ALT, and of course I have scanned
> > the Kmail documentation for hints, but have been unsuccessful.
> >
> > How is one to select a group of adjacent lines in this window, so
> > that one can e.g. copy or move them to another folder?
>
> Selecting several messages while holding down the LBM (left mouse
> button) does not work. But the following works:
>
> Range selection: Click with LBM on first message of range, click with
> Shift+LMB on last message of range.
>
> Indivial selection: Click with Ctrl+LMB on a message selects this
> message additionally to other selected messages.

Thank you. I will try these maneuvers next time.

There was an earlier message that suggested a different trick, namely
CTRL+Shift+UP (or DOWN) to expand a selected range in the respective
direction. I did that to define a range of messages, then copied the
selected messages to a different folder. (I copied rather than moving
because this was a first experiment, and I wanted to preserve the
original situation in case there were a failure of any sort.) The copy
operation succeeded, so I wished to delete the original messages from
their original location. This disclosed an apparent bug.

What happened was that some, but not all, of the selected messages were
deleted, and the operation had to be repeated several times in order to
remove all the selected messages (selected lines in the window). All went
well in the end, but I do not believe that the behavior was what the
designer intended, or what a user should have to experience. I also do
not believe that the designer ever tried this maneuver out before
releasing the program.

Not a criticism, you understand, but I have to wonder why the designers
have not chosen to implement range selection in the same way that it is
done universally (even in Kmai'sl Message and Compose windows), i.e. by
holding down MB2 and drawing the mouse cursor over the desired range.

Thank you again for your hint.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on