[kdepim-users] Kmail Message-list window

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Wed Aug 13 10:54:27 BST 2008

At 12:10:39 on Wednesday Wednesday 13 August 2008, Ingo Klöcker
<kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 August 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > At 22:14:40 on Tuesday Tuesday 12 August 2008, Ingo Klöcker
> >
> > <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:

> > > Selecting several messages while holding down the LBM (left mouse
> > > button) does not work. But the following works:
> > >
> > > Range selection: Click with LBM on first message of range, click
> > > with Shift+LMB on last message of range.
> > >
> > > Indivial selection: Click with Ctrl+LMB on a message selects this
> > > message additionally to other selected messages.
> >
> > Thank you. I will try these maneuvers next time.
> >
> > There was an earlier message that suggested a different trick, namely
> > CTRL+Shift+UP (or DOWN) to expand a selected range in the respective
> > direction.
>
> Yes. That's the keyboard-only way to select a range of messages.
>
> > I did that to define a range of messages, then copied the
> > selected messages to a different folder. (I copied rather than moving
> > because this was a first experiment, and I wanted to preserve the
> > original situation in case there were a failure of any sort.) The
> > copy operation succeeded, so I wished to delete the original messages
> > from their original location. This disclosed an apparent bug.
> >
> > What happened was that some, but not all, of the selected messages
> > were deleted, and the operation had to be repeated several times in
> > order to remove all the selected messages (selected lines in the
> > window). All went well in the end, but I do not believe that the
> > behavior was what the designer intended, or what a user should have
> > to experience. I also do not believe that the designer ever tried
> > this maneuver out before releasing the program.
>
> Do you use threading? Were the threads collapsed?

I do use threading, though I have been considering doing away with it
normally, and implementing it only when it would be convenient. Usually,
threads are collapses, but I can't guarantee that there were none
expanded at the time. If that was the problem, however, I am much more
comfortable with your implied explanation, because it removes the
behavior from the realm of "mysterious phenomena".

Thank you...
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on