[kdepim-users] Kmail Message-list window

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Aug 13 10:10:39 BST 2008

On Wednesday 13 August 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 22:14:40 on Tuesday Tuesday 12 August 2008, Ingo Klöcker
> <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 August 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > > I am using Kmail v1.9.6 unde KDE v3.5.7, under openSuSE v10.3.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to Select a range of lines in this window? I have
> > > tried to drag the mouse cursor while holding down MB1 and various
> > > combinations of CTRL, SHIFT, and ALT, and of course I have
> > > scanned the Kmail documentation for hints, but have been
> > > unsuccessful.
> > >
> > > How is one to select a group of adjacent lines in this window, so
> > > that one can e.g. copy or move them to another folder?
> >
> > Selecting several messages while holding down the LBM (left mouse
> > button) does not work. But the following works:
> >
> > Range selection: Click with LBM on first message of range, click
> > with Shift+LMB on last message of range.
> >
> > Indivial selection: Click with Ctrl+LMB on a message selects this
> > message additionally to other selected messages.
>
> Thank you. I will try these maneuvers next time.
>
> There was an earlier message that suggested a different trick, namely
> CTRL+Shift+UP (or DOWN) to expand a selected range in the respective
> direction.

Yes. That's the keyboard-only way to select a range of messages.

> I did that to define a range of messages, then copied the
> selected messages to a different folder. (I copied rather than moving
> because this was a first experiment, and I wanted to preserve the
> original situation in case there were a failure of any sort.) The
> copy operation succeeded, so I wished to delete the original messages
> from their original location. This disclosed an apparent bug.
>
> What happened was that some, but not all, of the selected messages
> were deleted, and the operation had to be repeated several times in
> order to remove all the selected messages (selected lines in the
> window). All went well in the end, but I do not believe that the
> behavior was what the designer intended, or what a user should have
> to experience. I also do not believe that the designer ever tried
> this maneuver out before releasing the program.

Do you use threading? Were the threads collapsed?

> Not a criticism, you understand, but I have to wonder why the
> designers have not chosen to implement range selection in the same
> way that it is done universally (even in Kmai'sl Message and Compose
> windows), i.e. by holding down MB2 and drawing the mouse cursor over
> the desired range.

For no particular reason. If one of the developers (me included) would
have missed it, he would probably have implemented it. But it seems
nobody missed it and so we spent our limited time doing other things.