[kdepim-users] Please explain about KMail contacts

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sun Aug 3 05:39:34 BST 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 07:40, Anne Wilson wrote:
> KMail gets addresses from two places - your addressbook and a list of
> recent contacts.  To deal with that one first - if you need to edit that
> list (say you get a wrong address in there by accident) you can do it from
> Configure KMail > Composer > Edit Recent Addresses.  I'm not aware that it
> takes any from incoming mail, so the ones you are seeing are probably from
> your replies.

Interesting.  That's something that I hadn't fiddled with before,  and while
looking into it I removed a few to clean things up a bit.

> There is no automatic import of addresses - after all you don't want all
> those spam addresses adding to your addressbook, do you :-)  What you can
> easily do is right-click an address and you get the option to add it to
> your addressbook.  That's a very basic entry, so if you right-click on it
> again, select 'Open in Addressbook' and you can edit it any way you need
> to.

Here's another question somewhat related-- if I start to fill in an address
field kmail comes up with a list of addresses that gets progressively smaller
as I type each letter,  until I hit the point where it's easier to just
select one of the ones displayed.

The thing is,  multiple times I'll see the same effective address more than
once in the list,  displayed in two different formats:

"firstname lastname" <email at address>

and

email at address (firstname lastname) or sometimes the other way around.

Is there any way to stop it from doing that latter version?  It makes the list
that pops up nunnecessarily long,  and makes it take longer for me to hit the
specific address I'm looking for.

-
M Dakin