[kdepim-users] Kontact/Kmail slow with large dimap account

Jim Hitch jim.hitch at englishlanguageservices.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 15:53:19 BST 2008

On Thursday 24 Apr 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > I don't use dimap, but regular imap on my system is not slow.  One
> > > thing that might be relevant is the format of your mailboxes.  maildir
> > > is very much faster than mbox.
> >
> > Thanks for the hint, Anne. My mailboxes are in maildir format, though.
> > 	If I check only for updates in the inbox folder, it is fast. Can I tell
> > kmail to check only the inbox for the regular mail checks, and check all
> > folders only when requiring so manually? Then it would be sufficient for
> > me to check all folders when I start and stop using each computer to
> > synchronize with the imap server.

I had the same problem. Select the dimap inbox you want to check, and hit F5
(or right click 'Check Mail in This Folder'), that checks for new mail and
sends whats in the outbox. Ctrl+L will do the full (slow) check that you
mentioned before. This can cause some 'apparent' loss of messages because the
accounts become a touch out of sync (esp. if you have a number of filters in
action). I get round this by trying to remember to do Ctrl+L at least a
couple of times to get everything properly in order.

Hope this is what you meant.

Jim