[kdepim-users] K3b headache (Franco Pellegrini)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 18:06:25 BST 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Thursday 24 April 2008, Brad Rogers wrote:
>>On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:48:26 -0700 (PDT)
>>Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>Hello Emanoil,
>>
>>> Well, I don't know this. The fix is that the user "me" and "you" have
>>> to disable the eject option in k3b setup. The drive is not reloaded
>>> so the disc stays in the tray and gets checked without a problem.
>>
>>It's worrying;  Without an eject and consequent reload of the disk,
>>there's no guarantee that the data being verified isn't the data in a
>>cache somewhere.
>
>Yes, that is at least the std behavour. In my test yesterday, not ejecting
> and reloading the disk would only allow dd to access the last block of the
> image written, the last 2048 bytes.  dd returned without error for whatever
> that's worth.  And it was capable of repeating that read action, getting
> the same sha1sum answer each and every time at about 3 second intervals.
>
>My intuitive reaction to this is that we WILL be forced to eject the disk,
> and that k3b will need a different patch so it will just set there and
> wait, say for a minimum of 1 minute when it gets an ENOTREADY from the
> drive after a reload operation.  Presently, it appears that k3b treats this
> as an instant real error and bails out.  Any other time its waiting for a
> disc, its just waits, and then updates the gui when it can in the
> background, but not for the verify pass reload, for some reason that is a
> failure.
>
>Perhaps this background disc scan used in other places could be used for the
>delay for the disc ready when verifying?  It certainly seems do-able to me,
>but I've not had a chance to troll through the code yet, life keeps getting
>in the way, and younger minds more fam with C++ stuff could probably find it
>far quicker than I could.  I've never written a single line of C++ stuff in
>my 73 years.

Sebastion:  I've added you to the to: list here as you are the best one to
address this I believe.  I've stumbled, and that is the right word I believe,
through some of the more promising corners of the code without tripping over
anything obvious, but my C++ knowledge is totally zilch.  Can this be
addressed, either by a patch to 1.0.4, or by a 1.0.5 release?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)