[kdepim-users] K3b headache (Franco Pellegrini)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 16:32:28 BST 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008, Brad Rogers wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:48:26 -0700 (PDT)
>Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Hello Emanoil,
>
>> Well, I don't know this. The fix is that the user "me" and "you" have
>> to disable the eject option in k3b setup. The drive is not reloaded
>> so the disc stays in the tray and gets checked without a problem.
>
>It's worrying;  Without an eject and consequent reload of the disk,
>there's no guarantee that the data being verified isn't the data in a
>cache somewhere.

Yes, that is at least the std behavour. In my test yesterday, not ejecting and
reloading the disk would only allow dd to access the last block of the image
written, the last 2048 bytes.  dd returned without error for whatever that's
worth.  And it was capable of repeating that read action, getting the same
sha1sum answer each and every time at about 3 second intervals.

My intuitive reaction to this is that we WILL be forced to eject the disk, and
that k3b will need a different patch so it will just set there and wait, say
for a minimum of 1 minute when it gets an ENOTREADY from the drive after a
reload operation.  Presently, it appears that k3b treats this as an instant
real error and bails out.  Any other time its waiting for a disc, its just
waits, and then updates the gui when it can in the background, but not for
the verify pass reload, for some reason that is a failure.

Perhaps this background disc scan used in other places could be used for the
delay for the disc ready when verifying?  It certainly seems do-able to me,
but I've not had a chance to troll through the code yet, life keeps getting
in the way, and younger minds more fam with C++ stuff could probably find it
far quicker than I could.  I've never written a single line of C++ stuff in
my 73 years.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)