[kdepim-users] Palm Treo 700p fails to sync.

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Fri Apr 18 03:47:07 BST 2008

Hi Tom,

If you're seeing a KPilot crash, then I'm going to need you to give me a
backtrace with full debugging information, please. Please follow the
directions on http://kpilot.org/develop.php to build kpilot with debugging
information. That page should also give you information on exactly how to
build, install, and run kpilot so that you can give me more information to
go on.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Tom Cada <thomas.cada at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are the results of my trying to sync the Palm Treo 700p using KPilot.
>
> First the version info:
>
> Version: KPilot 4.9.3-359 (palo alto)
> Version: pilot-link 0.12.2
> Version: KDE 3.5.9 "release 57.2"
> Version: Qt 3.3.8b
>
> I am following the instruction in the README for pilot-link in setting
> up the USB: device for syncing (not the symlink /dev/pilot).
>
> I am only trying to sync the calendar (date book). To start, I have
> purged all entries from the date book in the Treo.
>
> -  The copy from the PC to the Handheld does not copy all of the items
> in the calendar file to the Treo. Most are copied while some are
> deleted both on the Treo *AND* the PC calendar file.
>
> -  The "Full Sync" seems to operate the same way as the copy above.
>
> -  Entries added/deleted to the Treo are not tranferred to the PC
> using the "Full Sync" option. The items deleted from the Treo are
> re-added to the Treo by the "Full Sync".
>
> -  The "Hot Sync" option does add/delete the items from the Treo to the
> PC.
>
> -  The "Hot Sync" option re-adds items in both the Treo and PC. That
> is, for existing appointments on the PC, and Treo, the appointments
> are duplicated. Do another "Hot Sync" and there are now triple
> appointments. Do another, and you have 4 identical appointments.
>
> -  To sync, I must start KPilot first. The kpilotdaemon take a very
> long to start up. I press the Hot Sync button on the Treo, the sync
> process starts and finishes, and the kpilotdaemon crashes (like
> clockwork... every time!). I attribute that to using pilot-link 12.2.
> I have installed version 12.3 stand alone and it works properly by
> itself.
>
> -  As I reported earlier, I cannot do a restore from backup as the
> system cannot read the backup files (all of them).
>
> I'm sorry to be the "bringer of bad tidings" but I have suffered quite
> a bit of frustration in trying to get the sync process to work. It
> appears to me (not knowing all the details) that the various flags
> assigned to records to set a record's status have changed with the
> Treo 700p so that the add/update/delete process logic is  borked (just
> a guess!!!).
>
> Let me know if you need anything further or have any questions... Tom.

-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper // http://movingparts.net ]-
-[ KDE PIM Developer // http://www.kde.org ]-
-[ bash fun -> :(){ :|:&};: // Numbers 6:22-26 ]-