[kdepim-usability] Improving the category edit dialog

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Fri Sep 24 23:07:13 CEST 2004

Currently, the category edit dialog of korganizer and kaddressbook is a
nightmare as far as usability is concerned. It's very unintuitive to use, and
chances are great that one forgets to press the "modify" button to actually
apply the changes you have typed in.

Attached is a patch for libkdepim, which modifies the category edit dialog. I
did this in response to several bug reports that editing categories is quite
unintuitive (e.g. #73081, #82359): After modifying the text in the line edit,
you still have to press "modify" to actually apply the changes to the category
name. If you select some other category before, your changes are lost.

This patch changes the dialog so that the category name is now edited on the
fly when you type (similar to the attendee dialog of korganizer), and there are
only add and remove buttons (in addition to OK and apply, of course). The add
button adds a new category with a default name "new category", which one can
then edit (so far, it took the string from the lineedit).

This is the best I could come up with. Do you have any better suggestions to
improve the category edit dialog?

Reinhold