[kdepim-usability] KMail Wizard draft

Ellen Reitmayr ellen.reitmayr at relevantive.de
Thu Sep 23 12:36:51 CEST 2004

Hi,

for users not so familiar with all the options offered in the
configuration tool, the wizard should provide a complete replacement for
the settings tool. That means that you should ask for some more features
which are relevant for every day users. That is:

- Identity: Reply-To, Organization, Signature (no cryptography and
advanced options)

- Network/Incoming: Password/SavePW, Check mail every ... minutes
** In most email applications incoming servers are specified before
oputgoing servers - should we change the sequence? **

- Network/Outgoing: Server requires authentication + user name

- Identity/Network management is missing -> How does the user know that
identity and network are split up, and what their names are? You should
add a field 'Name of this account' and apply that name to both identity
and network.

Another point:

- What happens if a user does not complete the wizard, e.g. does not
specify an outgoing server? Which fields are required, which are not?
I would suggest that it is possible to finish the wizard even if one of
the tabs is not filled.

Liebe Gruesse,
/el

Ellen Reitmayr          email: reitmayr at relevantive.de
Usability Engineer      mobil: +49.177.3325867
relevantive AG          fon:   +49.30.23455630
Zehdenicker Str. 21     fax:   +49.30.23455639
10119 Berlin            web:   www.relevantive.de