[kdepim-usability] KMail Wizard draft

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Sep 22 22:40:12 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 20:01, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a very first draft for the KMail wizard. It should not
> pop up automatically, but be available from the KMail greeting page.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Does the selection of a PGP / S/MIME key there?

No.

> - Should the wizard include support to set up sendmail and local
> accounts?

Probably not.

> - Do you argree that security should be as simple as
> checking the box, or do we need more complex feedback about the
> encryption method at this point (IMHO no)

Encryption method? I guess you mean SSL/TSL. IMO the user should not be
asked. Most users anyway won't know wtf this means.

In the outgoing account the authentication info is missing which might
be needed. The wizard should check (in the background) whether
authentication is necessary.

It's POP3 or POP v3, but not POP 3
(http://www.googlewar.com/search.cfm?q1=POP3&q2=%22POP+3%22)
Googlewar:
"POP3" vs. ""POP 3""
2,780,000 results vs. 170,000 results
The winner is: POP3

For the incoming account a user name is required in any case (although
it's most likely equal to the localpart of the email address, so it
could be prefilled with this).

I would scratch the Account Name. Simply create a reasonable default
account name from the server name.

BTW, a long time ago Marc proposed that we should try to deduce all this
information from the user's email address. IIRC then some DNS based
service can be used for this. But of course this would have to be
implemented. So for now making the user enter the data in the wizard is
okay.

Since after removing the Account Name and the checkbox only the server
name and server type (for incoming) will be left + probably an
additional login name it would probably make sense to put outgoing and
incoming account on one page.

Regards,
Ingo