"Project - Subtitles - Import Subtitle File..." ruins non-ascii characters when importing SRT file in UTF-8 encoding.

Stub spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 04:16:55 GMT 2023

Hi,

Creating new subtitles within kdenlive works just fine and it automatiicall obeys the UTF-8 encoding for non-ascii characters.

When I save and close kdenlive, the automatcially saved srt file also correctly shows the non-ascii UTF-8 characters when inspected with a simple text editor.

HOWEVER, things go wrong with the

   Project -> Subtitles -> Import Subtitle File...

When I import a subtitle srt file with non-ascii characters (encoded in UTF-8), all non-ascii characters get scrambled to unreadable character sequences.

On the other hand, if I later open the saved kdenlive file, then the automatically saved subtitles file is loaded correctly (NO scrambling of non-ascii characters).

So my guess is, that something is wrong with the "Import Subtitle File..." procedure. Is that so?

Thank you!
-S.R.