Short film entirely made with Kdenlive

François Téchené ftechene at yahoo.fr
Tue Jan 18 16:18:04 GMT 2022

Hi everyone,

As I promised a few month back, here is the link to the short movie that
I have been directing last summer and that is finally out (under a CC
BY-SA license)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i1Xk51uZVU

I made the entire post production with Kdenlive from edit to color
grading. We used 4k footage out of a Black Magic camera and the proxy
feature made everything go smoothly. It is a solid feature that worked
perfectly. Well done devs!

It was the first time that I used Kdenlive for advanced color grading (I
used to use FCP and later Blender for that) and I was quite impressed by
the current state of Kdenlive for that purpose. I have shared a
screenshot of the raw footage that I used against the result that I
achieved to make it look cinematographic. Overall, it was a great
experience and I was only missing a few filters/features to make it
perfect :

- Luma vs Saturation curve
- Hue vs Saturation curve
- A polish of the way motion tracking is applied to the rotoscoping tool
(currently it is not usable)
- The ability to apply a composition to the result of all composited
tracks below it instead of just to a specific track

With the later implemented, I would see no direct need for node compositing.

I hope we can contribute to making Kdenlive more professional by making
movies with it and sharing our feedback :)

I take this opportunity to do a bit of advertising for Ethic Cinema,
which is a french non-profit organization that I funded with a friend
(we are 2 film makers) and that has for goal to promote free art (in a
freedom sense of course ;)). We make movies with free software like
Kdenlive and we release them under free licenses. You can visit our
website to learn more : https://ethiccinema.org/

Thank you so much for making such great software Kdenlive team!