Trying to understand the scope of kdenlive

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Sat Apr 9 10:27:55 BST 2022

On Saturday, 9 April 2022 09:05:44 CEST Narcis Garcia wrote:
> I think it's not necessary TO BE if it can TO USE.
> Kdenlive projects could dialog with other projects to compatibilize
> formats, exports and APIs; and this to allow software be called each other.
>
> Not always is needed to reinvent the wheel but to improve each
> specialized wheel to run vehicle as a team.

Although not a developer, I am an avid user and talk often to the devs in my
role of "Walking-Talking Advertising Agency" of KDE projects.

We once discussed incorporating Natron as a KDE project to assist with its
development:

https://phabricator.kde.org/T12801

Natron is already made with Qt, and suffers from an acute lack of resources and
development is slow. We also discussed the possibility that Kdenlive took over
the maintenance of Natron. Not integrating it, but developing a tighter
compatibility  between both applications, like you see in Adobe products.

This was part of a larger vision of developing a "Kreative Suite", which would
broach Krita and Kdenlive (both already part of KDE), along with Enve
(animation software), Scribus and Natron, all of which would have to be
incorporated.

Devs at the time pointed out they were already stretched to the limit with
Kdenlive, which was a good reason not to do that. And, of course, they were
right.

But if Kdenlive were to add more devs and acquire more resources from KDE
(which is something that seems to be on the cards), the circumstances would be
different.

How about we bring this project back to life?

(Don't hate me Farid!)

Cheers

Paul
--