Kdenlive issues with big projects

Mehdi Haghgoo powergame_coder2 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 04:10:10 BST 2021

Hi
I have been working on a quite big project recently in Kdenlive with hundreds of clips and a timeline over two hours.
I have noticed some problems in this project that didn't show up in my small projects before.
First, in a big project like this, the spacer tool has a significant lag to move items on the timeline, probably because the operation is not
asynchronous. It would be good it it moves the items right away and shows a progress bar to the user to wait in order to be more user friendly.
Second, when starting to render the project, especially with HEVC profile and medium speed preset, the job queue shows "Waiting" for a very long time, even more than 6 hours.
You think it's not doing anything, but it's working the CPU and adding to the output file size. I finally canceled a job after 8 hours to find out that the render was almost done, the vide was playable near the end of the file.

I hope these are good suggestions and bug pointers for future releases.

Here are my system info:

OS: Fedora 34Kdenlive: 21.11.70 AppImage
Best regards,Mehdi