Rendering options for uploading recorded screen video to Vimeo

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Sun Dec 27 14:47:30 GMT 2020

I wonder if anyone can offer me any tips on good practice for rendering.
I often capture gameplay from the Rouvy (rouvy.com) cycling simulator,
perform some simple cutting, transitions and titles, then render for
uploading to Vimeo. This usually works fine. I select the default MP4
option in kdenlive and don't touch anything else. For example, here's
one from a couple of weeks ago that uploaded just fine:
https://vimeo.com/489927882

However at the moment I have a 2.8GB file that continuously fails to
successfully upload to Vimeo. I've tried a few options, including
uploading directly from Dropbox, and suspect that the issue may be
Vimeo. I have a support call open with them.

At 2.8GB, it's probably the largest mp4 I've created from kdenlive, and
I'm revisiting the render options to wondering whether I should chose
something other than the default. The default options have always worked
fine for me so I've been reluctant to change anything. I've tried
rendering without audio (as there isn't any) but I'm not sure what else
to try.

The file plays fine from my Dropbox account (
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwvpqhnuynfrq1i/Tirli.mp4?dl=0 ) which does
suggest to me that the problem could be on the vimeo side. I'll try
reducing the length of the video and see if that helps. Vimeo have some
guidelines on video compression ( https://vimeo.com/help/compression )
so I'm having a look through that too.

I'm running the kdenlive-20.08.2-x86_64.appimage binary on Debian Buster.

Thanks for any pointers,

Dougie