Showstopper: timeline playhead positioning delays. Is it a bug? Anything user can do?

Alistair Riddoch alriddoch at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 23 12:24:41 BST 2019

I am not a developer, but I am interested in better understanding your
issues.

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 12:10 PM DogFilm <videobrain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Many editors do lots of manual micro-movement in the timeline to find good
> cut points, what seems to be possible with Kdenlive using [shift | alt]
> left / right arrows to position the playhead.
>
> The playhead unfortunately always has some significant delay in following
> these keyboard movements, what adds up to the level of "not usable in real
> life" for "real" editing.
>
> One [shift] left action takes between one and two seconds, moving right
> seems to be a bit quicker, but still far away from the expected immediate
> positioning. What makes it worse: it adds up. So if you press seven times
> left arrow because you want to position exactly seven frames before the
> actual playhead position, it takes even longer. Looks like some positioning
> calculation could be optimized.

Seeking left in kdenlive can be very dependent on the video file format
being used. For example with AVCHD files (which are fairly well known to be
poorly suited to editing) stepping left works very poorly, but with
Matroska Video or MP4 files it works much more fluidly.

What format of video files are you using?

--
Alistair Riddoch
alriddoch at googlemail.com
http://alistairriddoch.org/