Showstopper: timeline playhead positioning delays. Is it a bug? Anything user can do?

DogFilm videobrain at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 12:09:47 BST 2019

Many editors do lots of manual micro-movement in the timeline to find good
cut points, what seems to be possible with Kdenlive using [shift | alt]
left / right arrows to position the playhead.

The playhead unfortunately always has some significant delay in following
these keyboard movements, what adds up to the level of "not usable in real
life" for "real" editing.

One [shift] left action takes between one and two seconds, moving right
seems to be a bit quicker, but still far away from the expected immediate
positioning. What makes it worse: it adds up. So if you press seven times
left arrow because you want to position exactly seven frames before the
actual playhead position, it takes even longer. Looks like some positioning
calculation could be optimized.

This is especially annoying when positioning while the timeline is playing
- this must of course be possible without any perceived delay.

I understand that the timeline code is new, however this delay is a show
stopper. If I show this to friends with many years of experience in editing
they will just look at me with a big question mark ini their eyes -
"seriously???"...

To understand how this feels to someone editing videos every day, imagine
your text editor would delay every cursor movement, you can then understand
which level of "not acceptable" this is.

Is this is bug?
Can the user do anything to enhance that timeline positioning?

This is an extremely basic thing and very important to get it right.
Timeline positioning of course must work or at least feel like an immediate
action.

I guess it feels somehow strange to explain this to programmers of a video
editing app, but I came to the conclusion that you may not have that on top
of your testing list, otherwise the app would not have been released with
that basic problem, so somebody needs to make you aware of that
elephant-in-the-room that you do not seem to be relevant - it is very much!

Thanks again!