example project: 19.04 Multitrack compositing still broken: differs from all previous Kdenlive versions back to 15 and before

farid abdelnour snd.noise at gmail.com
Fri May 10 15:46:26 BST 2019

Hi Evert

Em sex, 10 de mai de 2019 às 02:30, Evert Vorster <evorster at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Hey there, Harald.
>
> Harald, this last release is a massive one. As in, under the hood a LOT of
> things have changed. As a package maintainer for the kdenlive package in
> Arch I have been watching and tracking it for a while. (years) I was
> wondering when the devs were going to be brave enough to bite the bullet
> and call it stable. I commend them on their bravery, it's not an easy thing.

Well technically it is still a WIP but much more stable than the old code
base. BAsically if we didn't release we would never find all these issues
by ourselves in a short ammount of time. Hence why we will dedicate the
whole 19.04 cycle for polishing.

> The detail of your issue seems to be enough to have it resolved, but this
> forum is not a bug tracker. Which brings me to a problem in the kdenlive
> community.
> Through the years I have seen a few different bug trackers, and we seem to
> have the same problem with all of them. The bugs in them quickly multiply
> to the point where the devs feel overwhelmed and the reporters feel under
> appreciated. I myself have a few open bugs from 2016 that have not been
> addressed and that I am not happy about. I have been told that they would
> all be fixed with the new timeline code, which has just been released.

That was the problem with the old code base, it was all duct-taped and
became unmaintainable. For one to add a feature it would break something
else... now we have a lean and clear code, bug fixes and new features are
easier and faster to do. Eugen has done an incredible work in maintaining
the bug tracker, closing duplicates, testing reports, etc... we have closed
more than a 100 reports since the end of last year. There is still a long
road ahead but we are getting there.

Now, my bugs are more of the OCD type, and since I am not a heavy user of
> kdenlive anymore I will leave them alone while the devs hunt the bugs of
> guys like you that use it daily.
>
> My advice for you to keep your sanity... Use a previous version of
> Kdenlive as your daily driver.
> Occasionally check to see if the bugs that prevent you from using the
> latest release has been fixed.

Great advice, we have kept a legacy link in the download page to the latest
18.12 series appimage. We hope to fix everything until the 19.08 release
and then the cool new features will start rolling.

Cheers