Wiki edits: FAQ for system requirement (draft)

Jacob Kauffmann jacob at nerdonthestreet.com
Sat Mar 16 19:47:27 GMT 2019

>> As a user of a Vega 64 with Kdenlive
>
> Would you mind sharing your rendering profiles? GPU rendering requires either h264_amf or hvec_amf. I got this information from this table https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

I don't use GPU rendering, it's never worked for me on AMD or NVIDIA. You said that your wiki page was a "short FAQ regarding system requirement for running kdenlive." The section of the wiki page I was responding to is titled "GPU support" and your statement literally says that "AMD GPUs are not supported on linux at this point." There is absolutely no indication anywhere that you were talking about GPU RENDERING.

If you're talking about rendering, I would re-title your section "GPU Rendering Support" or just "GPU Rendering," and make the sentence say something like "Hardware rendering with AMD GPUs is not supported on Linux at this point."

Personally, I think the "System Requirements" page you have right now is far too simplified. The only non-GPU related specs you have listed right now are "2GB ram and atom processors," and I can tell you right now that those specs would NOT be enough for most of my projects (although I've used Kdenlive with that type of system for audio-only edits before). Proxy clips are a workaround for not meeting the system requirements for your particular project, in my experience. Slowness of playback can be solved by using an intra-frame compressed editing codec (not just throwing in MP4s) and using a storage device fast enough to read that high-bitrate editing codec (ProRes is unusable for me when reading off of a hard drive, but works great when reading off of an NVMe SSD.)

Part of what makes Kdenlive great is that it has very low overhead and it lets you decide what the requirements will be, because it gets out of the way performance-wise and lets you use either higher- or lower-quality source clips to match your system's capabilities. (The downside is that Kdenlive/MLT are not very optimized to take advantage of hardware, but that's just the situation we're in right now.) Maybe you could organize your wiki page by type of project-- a 4K project with effects should have X requirements, a high-bitrate 1080p project should have Y requirements, a low-bitrate 720p project should have Z requirements. Then have a section that says, if you're trying to break these guidelines, it's a good time to use proxy clips. That way you can have some detailed information rather than just generalizing with an absolute minimum.

- Jacob Kauffmann