System requirements

Vincent Pinon vpinon at kde.org
Sun Mar 10 21:57:10 GMT 2019

Le vendredi 8 mars 2019, 11:00:14 CET Narcis Garcia a écrit :
> Too many people has severe confusion between requirements and recommends.
> I've used Kdenlive with 2GiB of RAM and it works.
I fully agree: absolute requirements are rather low, I've done small demo projects with Atom+2G RAM... but had to be patient :)
Thanks to proxies, editing can be smooth on almost any machine.
Some years ago due to memory leaks we needed several GB RAM to complete big projects rendering while keeping app open, but that's now over.

I would just advise not to go for NVidia due to proprietary drivers nightmare (crashes & incompatibilities, Wayland questions...)
(yet many users still use NVidia cards successfully and we have hardware encoding profiles for their hardware)...

We should write this topic in a FAQ on a wiki for quick answer, as the question comes rather often on forums & IRC...
volunteers ? :)

Vincent