kdenlive-19.03.70-34672a1-x86_64.appimage eats all memory, crashes system due to swapping

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle jb at kdenlive.org
Thu Jan 10 08:15:04 GMT 2019

On 19.12.18 21:01, Harald Albrecht wrote:

Hello Harald, and sorry for my late answer.

Sorry for your bad experience, but we still have many details to improve
and some parts still really need testing.

I have been working on the issues you reported, see my comments inline

> Urgh, this is a really bad experience -- didn't thought that kdenlive
> refactoring nightly might be this bad. The
> https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Kdenlive_Nightly_Appimage_Build/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/kdenlive-19.03.70-34672a1-x86_64.appimage
> ate all my 16G RAM after loading an existing project so fast, so when
> I realized, my system was already dead due to heavy swapping and I had
> to hard reset it. Something I definitely don't like.
>
> Other things I noticed before my system was killed by an video editor,
> off my head as I don't intend to try another refactoring nightly
> before long, as I need my system:
>
> - critical: eating all available 16GB, going nuts, when starting
> timeline preview rendering. requires system hard reset, due to heavy
> swapping. at least, preview rendering itself not crashing anymore,
> but, erm ... pyrrhic.

* I reproduced the issue and rewrote the way we handle timeline preview
so this memory issue is definitely fixed.

> - major: frei0r.scale0tilt still missing.

* AppImage related, now fixed

> - major: audio clip playback unreliable; reproducible on projects some
> of the audio clips won't playback anything, despite the project is
> correct and works on stable.

* I need more information to reproduce and fix, if anyone can create a
simple reproducible test case that would help

> .major: locked/unlocked track icon indistinguishable. Can you spot the
> difference easily while working on a larger project on a 20" 2560x1440
> 19:6 display? Yes, I can choose an annoying and distracting high
> contrast color scheme. But that's bad for work. Why not use the older,
> yet clearly distinguishable icons which there designed exactly for
> this purpose? Is this design over function, kind of Apple video editor?

There was no recent change in icons. But it seems the icons didn't
correctly adjust their color scheme. Below a screenshot of how it looks
for me, but the timeline appearance is currently under review :
https://phabricator.kde.org/T10085

> - major: I need to learn to slowly and precisely navigate in the
> timeline in order to either correctly hit a transition or the clip for
> setting either clip or transition properties. Or I need to constantly
> resize tracks just in order to work efficiently again. The old design
> allowed me a much quicker and yet precised work in the timeline. The
> transition height as well as position needs some tweaking? Try that
> with collapsed tracks...

* That's a good point. The good thing is that with the refactoring, the
code responsible for the display / layout of the timeline is independent
from the core. So we should be able to completely change the appearance
without rewriting all. We can easily make compositions look like in
stable version (overlapping 2 tracks). But for that we need a serious UI
review to decide what is best for the workflow, and we are slowly
reaching the code stability that allows us to focus more on UI and workflow.

> - minor: timecode overlay in monitor uses non-fixed font, so it
> changes width, jerking around annoyingly when playing clips or timeline.

* Fixed

> - minor: timecode barely readable. Try to find that on a 20" 2560x1440
> 19:6 display.

* Should be Fixed

> - minor: is that a transition on the audio clip??

* That's a keyframe view on an audio clip. It allows you to edit the
keyframes directly in timeline

* To be done: https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdenlive/issues/13

> - minor: timeline clip context menu missing all icons.

* Partly fixed, some actions don't have real icons for them.

> - minor: project bin icons distorted

* Fixed

> - minor: yet very annoying: appimage doesn't pick up the correct KDE
> style as set in my session, but instead comes with its own one.

* What do you mean the correct KDE style ? A screenshot of the current
situation compared to what you expect would help.

Best regards

Jean-Baptiste