Tests & CI

jb at kdenlive.org jb at kdenlive.org
Thu Jul 12 17:29:21 BST 2018

On July 11, 2018 8:31:30 PM GMT+02:00, Camille <camille.moulin at free.fr> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>As discussed during the Paris sprint and more recently in a Kdenlive
>café with Nicolas, I'd like to help setting up a relevant CI for
>Kdenlive.

Hello Camille,

Thanks for following on this topic! That's something we always wanted but never had time to take care of.

>There is already a general KDE CI that builds  the code for various
>platforms [1], but I have yet to understand how it works, mostly from
>an
>organizational point of view. Nicolas mentioned that the main point of
>Contact is Ben Cooksley, but  I have not contacted him yet. One thing
>be noted, is that this CI could be already useful, for instance, as it
>shows that  requiring MLT 6.10 broke the build. [2]

The best way to contact the KDE sysadmins is to open a phabricator request for the sysadmins.

https://phabricator.kde.org/maniphest/task/edit/form/2/

>In parallel, I have set up an experimental CI on Gitlab.com, because it
>
>seemed to me that it could have a few  advantages, especially in terms
>
>of flexibility.
>
>What I have done so far is just to mirror the code and write a simple
>.gitlab-ci.yml file on the refactoring_timeline branch: it builds the
>code, runs cppcheck  in the "build" stage then runs "build/runTests
>-platform offscreen" in the test stage.
>
>The results of cppcheck are available in the artifacts of the build
>stage [3] and the result of runTests are in the logs of the test stage
>[4]. Please note that the test stage fails not because of the results
>of
>the tests, but because runTests segfaults (purposely, if I recall
>correctly). One detail : it should be easy  to get email notifications
>on the results (I get them as owner of the repo, but  I guess anyone
>could subscribe).
>
>So, in short term, I see two (non exclusive) possible actions :
>
>- Contact  KDE infrastructure team to have an instance that suits you ;
>
>that means : the OS of your choice, the right branch to be tested
>(refactoring_timeline I guess ) and automatically running runTests
>
>- Clean/adapt the .gitlab-ci.yml file, add it to the code repo and
>automatically mirror the repo on an official kdenlive acccount on a
>gitlab instance (it doesn't have to be gitlab.com).
>
>What do you think about it?

If you have some time, as Albert mentionned it would be great to contact the kde sysadmins to check if we can have something equivalent whithout too much hassle.

Let us know,
Thanks
Jean-Baptiste